A Job resource represents a single Flink job. The Job resource is derived from a Deployment Template whenever Ververica Platform detects that a new Flink job is needed.
The Job resource is exclusively managed by Ververica Platform and it is not possible to create it manually. Once the Job resource is created, its
spec section is effectively immutable and represents a point in time of the
spec section of the owning Deployment resource.
status.state field of the Job resource has the following states:
- STARTING: The Job is in the process of starting. This includes requesting resources from the Deployment Target and submitting the specified job to it.
- STARTED: The Job was successfully started.
- TERMINATING: The Job is in the process of terminating.
- TERMINATED: The Job has terminated.
- FAILED: The Deployment Target or Flink have reported an unrecoverable failure. Ververica Platform may report additional failure details.
- FINISHED: The Job has terminated and finished successfully, e.g. a finite streaming or batch job.
Below state machine shows the possible transitions of a Job’s status:
Ververica Platform keeps all jobs in a terminal state. This allows users to trace back the evolution of the Deployment specification, such as parallelism and other configuration parameters.
The Job resource
status.state is not the same as the Flink job status since the Job resource state includes phases of acquiring resources from the Deployment Target.